chromID® MRSA SMART
Media for the screening of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)
- Direct identification of MRSA
- 18-24 hour incubation
- Medium can be used with variety of samples: nose, throat, skin or soft tissues (perineum, wound, groin, axilla)
- Improved recovery rate of mecC MRSA
- Provides critical information for effective infection control
Multi-drug resistant organisms (MDRO) and related risk of healthcare associated infection (HAI) outbreaks are among today’s most challenging public health issues. bioMérieux has an overall commitment to helping address these challenges in innovative ways, such as with our Be S.M.A.R.T. with Resistance™ initiative and our SMART range of media, which is developed specifically to target pathogens involved. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) are a prime concern – listed as a “serious threat” by the Centers for Disease Control1. MRSA (and other Staphylococci) cause a range of infections including pneumonia and bloodstream infections that can lead to sepsis. Rapid identification of MRSA is therefore essential to improved patient care, and infection control and outbreak management.
1. Antibiotic Resistance Threats in the United States, CDC 2013
Improved infection control
chromID® MRSA SMART combines S. aureus identification with direct detection of resistance mechanisms in 18-24 hours. Such timely delivery of results enables improved infection control measures including rapid patient isolation to control the spread of MRSA. This helps bring about better patient outcomes and reduction of the economic burden associated with MRSA. chromID® MRSA offers:
- Improved recovery of mecC MRSA
- Direct identification of MRSA
- Optimal reading at 18 hours of incubation
Optimized daily routine in the microbiology lab
With longstanding, recognized expertise in microbiology, a culture of innovation and dedication to designing products and services specifically for microbiology lab needs, bioMérieux has the combination to offer culture media that helps make daily routine in the lab easier. The high quality of chromID® MRSA SMART ensures rapid, reliable and easy-to-read results to help improve daily workflow.
- Early identification – get reliable information to clinicians for rapid implementation of infection control measures
- Less additional work thanks 99.6% specificity
- Easy-to-read results: Chromogenic substrates offer specific coloration for clear identification
- Integration with Full Microbiology Lab Automation (FMLA™) for optimal lab workflow
Be confident on compatibility
Need to know if chromID® MRSA SMART is compatible with another product? The information is easily available thanks to a validated Certificate of Compatibility that clearly shows its compatibility with complementary instruments and reagents.
- Compatibility is clear and easy to ensure
- Easily meet your accreditation requirements
- Reduce the number of validations you have to perform
- Certificates of Compatibility available in the Technical Library
Technical specifications: chromID® MRSA SMART
20 x 90 mm
100 x 90 mm
For product availability, please contact your local bioMérieux representative.
Detection of oxacillin-susceptible meca-positive Staphylococcus aureus isolates by use of chromogenic medium MRSA ID
Kumar VA et al. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2013;51:318-319
Culture-based detection of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus by a network of European laboratories: an external quality assessment study
Gazin M et al. MOSAR WP2 study team. European journal of clinical microbiology and infectious diseases 2012;331:1765-70
Detection of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in clinical specimens from cystic fibrosis patients by use of chromogenic selective agar
Perez LRR et al.Journal Of Clinical Microbiology 2012;50;2506-8
Evaluation of chromogenic meticillin-resistance Staphylococcus aureus media: Sensitivity versus turnaround time
Morris K et al.Journal Of Hospital Infection 2012;81:20-24
ECCMID 2011 / Milan (Italy)
Comparison of PBP2a latex agglutination assay, PBP2a rapid immunochromatographic assay, and chromogenic medium for identification of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus directly from positive blood cultures
Hong SB et al.
ICAAC 2011 / Chicago (USA)
Novel mecA variant LGA251 - ability to detect isolates using commercial methods
Skov R et al.